GREEN BUSINESS CHAMPIONS AWARDS 2019 – Categories and Criteria.
- Building Project of the Year
This category is open to all deserving Nigerian building project that has pioneered green designs, technologies and technique, delivered over the past 12 months. The Building Project of the Year Award is to celebrate the huge progress being made to eradicate the negative environmental impact of the Nigeria’s building sector processes. The judges are looking for the best creative, innovative and inspiring projects delivered, that demonstrate how the highest environmental credentials of the green building standards are implemented to boost a building’s efficiency, performance, and attractiveness.
The winning entries will showcase the project and its green credentials, providing detailed information on its environmental characteristics, and an explanation of how the project was conceived and delivered.
- What was the guideline/directive for the project and how was it achieved?
- What were the sustainable designs, solutions, green products, approaches, technologies and methods used as part of the project?
- What information can be provided to demonstrate the project’s environmental and wider performance?
- What has been the feedback of residents and stakeholders of the building?
- What can be gained by other organizations from your experience?
- Circular Economy Project of the Year
This category is open to all deserving Nigerian Circular Economy projects that has pioneered cradle to cradle operations over the past 12 months. The project should use its products through its second life cycle, ensuring that no waste go to the landfill.
- What was the aim of your circular economy project and how was it achieved?
- What was your justification for undertaking the project?
- How were hurdles/obstacles to project implementation overcome?
- What information can be provided to demonstrate the project’s successful outcome?
- What are the environmental and commercial benefits of the project?
- How does the project symbolize circular economy principle?
- What lessons can be gained by other organizations from your experience?
- Bank of the Year
The Bank of the Year Award is open to the most deserving Nigerian Commercial Bank that has pioneered sustainable green business operations over the past 12 months. The winning entry should use its products through its second life cycle, ensuring that no waste go to the landfill. The staff and stakeholders should have been carried along and show evidence of sustainable solutions and processes already being used and practiced, with evidence of savings recorded as a result of adoption of these sustainable practices.
- What steps have you taken within your operations to reduce wastages, that has improved your green operations towards a green economy?
- How have you encouraged green business application and the evolution of sustainable economy amongst your staffs, vendors, suppliers, customers, shareholders & general stakeholders?
- What green business solutions have you adopted in the last 12 months and what substantiation can be provided of their success?
- How have you helped motivate your staffs and associates to adopt green practices?
- Development Bank of the Year.
The Development Bank of the Year Award is open to the most deserving Nigerian Development Bank that has pioneered sustainable green business operations over the past 12 months and has supported Sustainable Projects within the period under review. The winning entry should use its products through its second life cycle, ensuring that no waste go to the landfill. The staff and stakeholders should have been carried along and show evidence of sustainable solutions and processes already being used and practiced, with evidence of savings recorded as a result of adoption of these sustainable practices. The Bank should have supported a major project that promotes Climate Adaptation and Green Business Operations through their partnering commercial bank that is also climate compliant.
- What steps have you taken within your operations to reduce wastages and that improves your green operations towards a green economy?
- How have you encouraged green business application and the evolution of a sustainable economy amongst your staffs, vendors, suppliers, customers, shareholders & general stakeholders?
- What green business solution have you adopted in the last 12 months and what substantiation can be provided of their success?
- What ‘green projects’ have you funded in the last 12 months?
- How have you helped motivate your staffs and associates to adopt green practices?
- Communications Agency of the Year.
The Communication Agency of the Year Award is open to the most deserving Nigerian PR Agency that has pioneered sustainable green business operations over the past 12 months and has supported and promoted Sustainable Projects or Practices in their operations within the period under review.
- What are the green campaigns that has been embarked on by the agency and how have impressive results been conveyed?
- How have the campaigns been evolved in order to reach target audience and ensure that green messages are effectively passed across?
- What measures have been taken by the agency to curb environmental aftermath of its own ventures? How do you dispose your spent bill-board adverts?
- What assistance has been given to clients to improve their environmental reputation?
- What lessons can be gained by other organizations from the agency?
- How were new procedures to green communications embraced by the campaign?
- What substantiation can be supplied by you, detailing the success of the campaign?
- Company of the Year.
The Company of the Year Award is open to the most deserving Nigerian Company that has pioneered sustainable green business operations over the past 12 months and has supported and promoted Sustainable Projects or Practices in their operations within the period under review.
- What obligations have been made by your organization to improving its green performance in the society?
- What progress has been made towards achieving your green goals in the past year?
- What differentiates your businesses sustainability strategy from that of other companies?
- What measures have been taken to promote the wider green economy practice to your employees, clients, and stakeholders and the community of your operations?
- How do you manage your waste and how much have you reduced your product packaging so as to reduce waste generated by your products?
- How do you manage your production effluent? How does your production processes impart on the immediate environment and communities?
- What knowledge can be gained from your company’s green business experience?
- Facility Management Company of the Year.
The Facilities Management Company of the Year Award is open to the most deserving Nigerian FM Company that has pioneered sustainable green business operations over the past 12 months and has supported and promoted Sustainable Projects or Practices in their operations within the period under review. The company must inspire their clients to adopt sustainable solutions to manage and run their operations for a low carbon economy.
- What sustainable green solutions have you been providing for your services/clients in the last 12 months?
- How was the business case for the solutions made for your clients?
- How were the obstacles to delivery controlled?
- What were the broader environmental and commercial advantages that culminated from the adoption of the solutions?
- What knowledge could be acquired by others from your experience?
- How green solutions/products have you adopted in your business and propagated to your clients to adopt?
- Consultancy of the Year
This is open to any Consultancy or Advisory Agency that has aided Organizations to provide significant and measurable progress in their environmental accomplishment over the past 12 months. The judges are seeking inventive reasoning and dedication to encouraging basic changes in business format that assist clients prepare for the rudimentary technological and profitable adaptation that define the green economy.
Successful entries will demonstrate how green consultancies have aided clients sail through emerging trends and adopt modern innovations that enable green performance improvements while also aiding to encourage new ideas on how to eradicate environmental setbacks.
- What are the green consultancy services that have been provided in the past year and how is sustainable behavior among your clients been promoted?
- Can specific illustrations of how clients are been assisted to adapt to emerging green prospects and risks?
- What substantiation can be supplied of how your organization is reducing its own environmental effects?
- How is the broader argument on the future of the green economy been promoted by you?
- Digital Project of the Year
This category is open to any industry that has successfully and actively encouraged clients, prospective clients and/or stakeholders to embrace green digital products, services, or solutions over the past 12 months. Successful entrants will exhibit a motivating green marketing and/or advertising campaign that resonates with its target audience and has evidently led to increased customer or stakeholder engagement. The judges seek highly inventive green messaging that circumvents marketing stereotypes and identifies new and effective methods for propelling demand for green businesses.
The best entries will impart an understanding of the campaign’s background, clearly setting out the aim of the campaign and the approaches used to deliver on its goals, and furnish riveting information demonstrating its success
- How has environmental aftermaths been helped reduced by the project?
- What new ICT structures were implemented and how was the business illustration for the business evolved?
- How could the project be augmented to open up broader environmental welfare?
- What could be benefited by other organizations from the project?
- Employee Engagement Initiative Award
This is open to any market large or small that has made a coordinated effort to involve employees in green behavior change and emission and waste reduction initiatives over the past year. The judges seek for ambitious, innovative, and effective programs that have increased awareness of environmental concerns and apparently led to environmental execution advancement across the organization.
Top entries will define how the campaign was established and its goals, show how obstacles to employee involvement have been eradicated, and demonstrate how assistance for green best operations among colleagues have been attained and preserved.
- What was the necessity for a green employee engagement initiative in your business?
- What measures were taken to control obstacles to green behavior change?
- How were your target audience identified, colleagues’ attention captured, and support established for green action?
- How has support been maintained for green behaviors amongst colleagues?
- What knowledge could be acquired by other organizations from your campaign?
- Energy Efficiency Project of the Year
This category is for any project that has successfully supplied notable energy efficiency gains, in the process focusing on the wide range of advantages connected with energy efficiency enhancements. The judges seek for ambitious projects that have deployed innovative technologies, techniques, and/or financial models to improve the energy efficiency of buildings, infrastructure, and/or transport systems.
The most riveting entries will provide a summary of the project and how it was achieved, evident measurements describing the energy efficiency increase that resulted, and an understanding of how the project could prove a trendsetter for broader efficiency advancements.
- What was the purpose of the project and how was it attained?
- How was the business illustration for the business made?
- What measures were taken to control obstacles to implementation?
- How remarkable were the energy efficiency gains the project provided?
- What broader environmental and commercial advantages culminated from the project?
- What knowledge could be acquired by other organizations from your experience?
- Entrepreneur of the Year
This category is open to any entrepreneur who has established and operated a successful green business. This award is seeking to celebrate the best in green entrepreneurship. The judges seek for an individual who has exhibited realistic entrepreneurship and took a chance to raise a new, exciting, and innovative green business, and has provided remarkable progress over the past year.
Successful entrants will be able to exhibit how they recognized a gap in the market, established a business capable of meeting demand for a new and innovative green product or service, and have since taken successful measures to build their organisation
- How was the opportunity for your green business identified?
- What obstacles were curbed to set up your business and how was it successfully turned into a reality?
- What substantiation can you provide on the company’s success in the past years?
- What are your intents in developing your recent success?
- What knowledge can be acquired by other organizations from your experience?
- Environmental Awareness Campaign of the Year
This category is open to any campaign that has encouraged and facilitated greater awareness of environmental concerns amongst the business community and/or wider public over the past year. With public interest in environmental concerns and the wider green economy at record high levels it is more important than ever that green businesses and campaign groups build on that momentum. As such, the judges seek to celebrate effective campaigns that have helped promote awareness of the complex setbacks and advantages connected with environmental concerns and the green economy.
Successful entrants will explain why they seek to raise awareness of an environmental concern, explain the progress they have made in the past 12 months including evident information on the methods and approaches used, and give data on how successful the campaign has proved to be.
- What were the environmental issues sought to raise awareness around?
- How was target audience identified by the campaign, and how was their interest captured?
- What percentage of the target audience participated?
- What percentage of the projected area was covered?
- What percentage of projected impact was achieved?
- ESG Investor of the Year
Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) is a major trend for the investment industry in later years, furnishing investors with the opportunity to give support for greener industries and reduce exposure to unsustainable business practices. This award is open to any investor with a Nigerian presence that is proactively taking measures to enhance their ESG products and credentials. The judges are seeking investors who can exhibit how they are successfully implementing ESG policies and developing their investment blueprint to promote the green economy and tackle environmental and climate risks.
The leading entries will provide a comprehensible description of the company’s ESG strategy and activities, verification of how effective the strategy has manifested, and an insight into how the investor has aided the advancement of greener business practices and enhanced climate risk management across its financial assets.
- How has ESG investment procedures been established and presented by your organization?
- Can you provide illustrations of some of your most successful ESG investments and/or engagements?
- What has been the feedback of clients and assets to your ESG investment strategy?
- What has been your response to climate and environmental threats that might affect your investments?
- How have you aided in molding the broader argument about the increasing contribution of green finance to the economy?
- What knowledge can be acquired by other organizations from your experience?
Green Hotel of the Year
This award seek to recognize the Hotel or Hospitality place that has recorded gains from practicing ‘green business operations’’, ranging from sustainable energy, water and waste management. The Hotel must have reduced or sustainably managed their environmental impact on their immediate environment.
- How have environmental impacts been curbed by your hotel operations?
- How was the priority of environmental performance ensured by your operations?
- What clean technologies or green approach have been used to strengthen the environmental performance of your operations?
- What knowledge can be acquired by other hotels and hospitality industry cohort from your experience?
- Innovation of the Year Award
Innovation of the year award is open to any enterprise or product that has exhibited authentic revolution in the quest for better environmental performance over the past year. The judges seek for a technology, service, or business prototype that guarantees delivery of notable environmental benefits, whether through deep cuts in greenhouse emissions, energy use, water consumption, waste production, biodiversity impacts, and/or other developments.
The strongest entries will display a genuinely unique technology, service and/or business model that challenges current business thinking, promises measurable environmental profits, and has clear potential to tackle a pressing environmental issue. They will explain how the technology, service and/or business prototype was evolved, describe its utilization, and give details on plans for its future distribution.
- What makes your green technology, service or business model genuinely innovative?
- How will large scale environmental enhancement be supplied by it?
- How could your innovation be relevant to the broader economy?
- How extensive is the market opportunity that your innovation deals with?
- What are your proposals to manage adoption of your innovation?
- Manufacturer of the Year
This category is open to manufacturers that have taken measures to cut their environmental effect and assist with the adaptation to a greener economy, this award will honor those trailblazing organizations that are initiating green manufacturing best operations and principles, and/or producing new clean technologies and products. The judges seek for manufacturers who have taken measured steps to intensify the efficiency and/or enhance the environmental implementation of their operations, while adopting new clean technologies or procedures.
Winning entries will include a detailed explanation of the measures taken by your organization in the past 12 months, an understanding of the reasons for your green measures, and detailed facts and/or data on the outcome of the environmental benefits.
- What measures have been taken by your organization to enhance its environmental implementation and control the effect of your manufacturing performances and procedures?
- What are the green goals set and how much advancement were made towards them in the past year?
- What differentiates your business sustainability strategy from that of its peers?
- What knowledge can be acquired by other manufacturers from your company’s experience?
- Small Business of the Year
This category is open to any business having fewer than 12 people in its employ that is dedicated to playing an important role in the low carbon adaptation through the invention of new green products and services and/or the introduction of sustainable business and operating models. The judges seek firms that have exhibited how they could improve their environmental execution across their practices and endorse the importance of greener business models over the past 12 months.
Winning entrants will define their reasons for pursuing sustainable business prototypes, describe the measures they have taken in the past 12 months to enhance their environmental implementation, provide comprehensible proof of their accomplishment, and exhibit how they are attempting to accelerate green profits across the broader economy.
- What are the measures taken to minimize the environmental impact of your organization and/or the products and services it provides?
- How was a business case developed for trailing greener methods and what threats were controlled?
- What substantiation can be given specifying your organization’s success over the past 12 months?
- How do you intend to reinforce your sustainability strategy over the next 12 months?
- What knowledge can be acquired by other businesses from your experience?
- Sustainability Executive of the Year
This is open to any executive working to advance and provide corporate sustainability advancement and propel the development of the green economy, this award seeks to honor the individuals who are at the core of attempts to provide truly sustainable business prototypes and environmental implementation improvements. The judges seek for contenders who have steered the delivery of successful sustainability programs over the last 12 months, working closely with colleagues and partners to develop and implement effective environmental initiatives.
Winning entrants will give an outline of their role and responsibilities, explain how they initiated and performed sustainability initiatives over the past 12 months, and discuss how they are contributing to the advancement of the wider green economy
- What sustainability project has been piloted by you this year?
- How much has your organization’s environmental implementation advanced?
- What impact does your sustainability strategy have on the broader organization and its stakeholders?
- What is your contribution to the extensive development of the green economy?
- What substantiation can be supplied of green business innovation that was initiated and provided by you?
- Sustainability Team of the Year
This award is open to any sustainability team that has provided noteworthy and measurable environmental advancements for their business over the past 12 months, assisting to pilot the passage to a greener economy in the process. This award seeks to acknowledge teams that have had a direct influence on their broader organization, raising consciousness of green subjects amongst colleagues, reinforcing business competitiveness, and providing substantial operational and environmental improvements. The judges will be seeking for evidence of effective team-work, advanced endorsement of sustainability plans, and effective implementation of green projects.
Winning entrants will describe the sustainability projects the team has worked on over the past 12 months, provide an understanding of how the projects were furnished, and supply proof of how the team is at the advanced stage of sustainability reasoning for its sector
- What sustainability projects have been managed by your team this year?
- What proof of the success of these projects do you have?
- How has overall commercial competitiveness and environmental performance been helped boosted by your team?
- How have green projects and initiative been across the organizations been promoted by your team?
- What approach has been established that other businesses could learn from?
- Green University of the Year
This category is open to any university that has stepped up their efforts on sustainability. The judges seek universities that have embraced the adoption of low carbon strategies, mainstreaming environmental sustainability across the curriculum, and engaged with community and stakeholder at all levels on priority sustainability issues.
The winning entrant will be the university that incorporates environment, low carbon-climate resilience development strategies and sustainability aspects in their education, training, campus operations and enhanced student engagement.
- What steps have you taken to make your business operations green?
- What are the sustainable systems and solutions that you have adopted in the last 12 months?
- What is the outcome of the solution, both environmentally and commercially? How has it saved you money on operating expenses or reduce your Carbon emission.
- How was the business case for the project developed, and control over obstacles to delivery?
- What knowledge could be acquired by other organizations from your sustainable projects/solutions, and how can it help unravel wider environmental benefits?
- Green Airline Of The Year
This is open to any airline that is committed to environmental sustainability by improving the quality of the environment. The judges seek for airlines whose policy is concerned with aircraft fuel, reduction of carbon emissions, alongside waste and noise, combined ground operations, and supply chain work.
The winning entrant will demonstrate approaches taken by the airline in the past 12 months towards cutting edge environmental advances, reducing the airlines dependency on drag and fuels, and how it has helped reduce waste to landfill.
- Give comprehensive illustrations of how you addressed green business operations for your Airline?
- How were you able to engage your staff, suppliers, passengers to adopt the green business operation, including sorting waste and sustainable waste management?
- How have your Competitors been motivated by you to adopt greener business operations and behaviors?
- What makes you a green business Airline Champion?
Development Aid Organization of the Year
Development Aid Organisation of the Year: This category is open to any organization that has contributed to the development and support of sustainable projects economically, environmentally, socially.
Winning entries will give a detailed explanation of the development projects the organisation has embarked on or supported in the past 12 months, explain its initiation and execution, the approaches taken to ensure its sustainability, and comprehensive data on its environmental benefits.
- What sustainable project was supported and what was the goal of the project and how was it attained?
- How were obstacles to implementation controlled by the project?
- What innovations were adopted by the project to improve its performance?
- How did the project participate with a field of other collaborators?
- What knowledge could be acquired by other projects from your project’s methods to achieve sustainability?
- Lifetime Achievement Award
This is a Veteran Award for a veteran who has championed the cause of Green Business Operations and Sustainability for a low Carbon Economy over the years.
- What was the most important sustainable cause championed by the veteran?
- What were the sustainable solutions adopted to execute the championed causes?
- How were various threats to implementation of operations controlled?
- What green legacy has been established by the veteran that could be embraced by other green business leaders?
- Politician of the Year
This is to recognize a Senior Politician that currently champions the cause of Sustainability and green business operations for a low carbon economy.
- What sustainable cause(s) have been championed by you, and or how has the cause of green business operations been promoted by you?
- What are your justifications for championing the cause of green business operations?
- What are the environmental, social and political impacts of the cause you are championing?
- What are the strategies put in place to ensure that the cause of green operations is embraced by other stakeholders?
- What lessons can be gained from you by other politicians or influential members of the community?